A traditional soup that my family love to cook during Chinese New Year! To make a wholesome pot of soup, usually lots of good stuff are added though the star is pig maw (pig stomach). I enjoy this soup very much, especially the peppery broth is so tasty that instantly warm you up the first mouthful. This symbolise warm and love as the family gather together for reunion dinner!
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #15 - Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012) hosted by me, Wen of Wen's Delight!
Pig Maw Soup (serve 6-8)
1 big Pig maw (pig stomach)
1 kg Pork ribs
6 nos Dried scallop
10 Chicken feet
2 nos Fish maw (soften and cut into bite size)
1 can Buttom mushroom
2 tbsp Peppercorn (crushed)
2.5 L Water
Salt to taste
Chinese parsely/spring onion for garnishing
How to clean Pig Maw:
1. Trim away the fats on the pig maw.
2. Turn it inside out.
3. Rub it with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp salt all over.
4. Wash away the salt and oil with water. Set aside.
1. Scald pig maw, chicken feet and pork ribs in boiling water. Rinse and drain. Stuff the pig maw with crushed peppercorn.
2. Place pig maw, pork ribs, chicken feet, dried scallop, garlic and 2.5L water in a soup pot, bring it to boil on high flame. Then lower flame and simmer till pig maw becomes tender. (approx 1.5 hours)
3. When the pig maw is almost tender, then add in fish maw and button mushroom. Season with salt. Continue simmer till cooked.
4. Slice the tender pig maw to bite size to serve.
5. Garnish with Chinese parsley and spring onion.
What type of soups or dishes do you cook for Reunion dinner/CNY? Do share with me and submit to Aspiring Bakers #15 before 31st Jan 2012! Do support!