19th Nov 2010
This is my entry for Aspiring Bakers #1 hosted by Small Small Baker.
I decided to bake a savoury chiffon instead of the usual sweet ones. Got the idea from Cuisine Paradise and adapted the recipe from Kitchen Corner with some changes. It turned out pretty well. Soft and tasty! I love savoury stuff and it tasted like ham & cheese bun. Great for breakfast.
5 nos Egg yolks
70g Light olive oil
100g Cake flour (sieve)
6 nos Egg white
80g Castor sugar
10g Corn flour (sieve)
50g Virgina ham (approx 1 slice - chopped)
90g Pizza plus shredded cheese (mixture of moz cheese, cheddar cheese & parmesan cheese)
1 tsp Parsley flakes
Size: 21 cm chiffon mould
Preheat oven at 160 deg C
1. Put egg yolks, water and oil in a mixing bowl, used a handheld electric mixer to mix till incorporated. Add in sifted flour and mix well till thick & smooth. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until foamy. Gradually add in sugar and finally add in corn flour. Continue whisk till peak foam, smooth and shiny.
3. Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites mixture into the egg yolks mixture. When everything well combine then gently fold in remaining egg whites mixture till smooth flowing.
4. Fold in the cheese, ham & parsley, then pour the well mix mixture into the chiffon tin and bake for 40-50 minutes.
5. When baked, turn upside down to cool. Unmould when completely cool. Best serve within 2 days.
This chiffon seem to have more holes than usual due to the shredded cheese added. I also notice that adding corn flour to egg white instead of cream of tartar, the folding process was more tedious but yeild a softer cake.