I have attended numerous workshops over the years, so some of the recipes I may tend to forget and even not try yet. To prevent myself from forgetting the recipes forever...lol! I have a habit to always mark down on the recipe after attending the class on whether is it good or not. This wholemeal bread is one of the recipe that I will not forget even though it was a Richard Goh's workshop I attended years ago because I marked it as very good!
Yes, this recipe is a keeper! The wholemeal buns are very flavourful and soft! The method is one of the simplest and the dough is very easy to handle too, you don't even need to flour your hand and work top.
Recipe adapted and modified from Richard Goh's baking class
Ingredients: (makes 18-20 buns)
125g Salted butter (softened)
1tbsp Condensed milk
1no Egg (cold)
15g Instant yeast
210g Cold water
50g Instant oat (Quaker)
150g Wholemeal flour
300g Bread flour
100g Plain flour
I shaped it into 2 types, long and round.
1. Using the mixer hook (Kenwood Chef) to mix (A) together for briefly 2-3 mins till well mix.
2. Add in (B) at slow speed to blend into a dough and beat into a smooth & elastic dough at max speed for about 8-10 mins. Cover and let the dough rest for 30mins or till double in size.
3. After 1st proving, divide the dough into 55g portion and roll into the shapes of your choice. Place the dough on a lined tray to proof for about 1 hour or until double in size.
4. Preheat oven at 200 deg C.
5. Bake the buns on the centre rack for about 8-10 mins till golden brown.
Though using straight dough method but the buns are still soft the next day, even on the 3rd day was still fine. I served the buns with this yummy tuna filling. Even my aunt give a thumb up for this and happily ate 2 of it even after dinner.
Tuna Melts - recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Instead of mixing canned tuna with just mayo and onion, why not try this out... add in some red & green bell pepper, some gerkins or even eggs and mustard!
Recipe modified from The Pioneer Woman:
Ingredients: (enough to fill 12 buns)
1 can Tuna (in olive oil)
1/2 no Onion (red/white - finely chopped)
1/4 no Red capiscum (finely chopped)
1/4 no Green capiscum (finely chopped)
2 nos Hard boiled egg (chopped)
2 nos Gerkins (chopped)
3 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt & black pepper to taste
Slices cheese of your choice
1. Combine all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
2. Spread it onto bun and top with cheese.
3. Toast it till the cheese melted.