When I was a kid, I love chocolate rice swiss roll very much! I would be very happy when my granny bought it for our tea break. Of course now I do not crave so much for it anymore but I don't mind to have a slice once in awhile! This is another recipe I try from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 and will be submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #9: Swiss Rolling Good Times (July 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food.
This chocolate swiss roll uses chiffon method which is slightly more simple as compared to egg separation method but still churned out an equally soft and moist roll.
Recipe adapted & modified from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 - 可可蛋糕卷Ingredients:
20g Unsweetened cocoa powder
40g Hot water
60g Egg yolks (approx. 3 large eggs)
45g Castor sugar
50g Sunflower oil
30g Fresh milk
75g Cake flour
120g Egg whites (approx. 3 large eggs)
60g Castor sugar
1/4tsp Vanilla extract
For swiss roll (chiffon method)
Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Line a the base of a 11" x 14" tray.
1. Mix cocoa powder with hot water into a paste and set aside.
2. Use a electric hand mixer, whisk egg yolk and sugar till creamy.
3. Add in cocoa mixture (1) and mix well.
4. Add in oil and milk and mix till well incorporated. Stir in sifted flour and set aside.
5. In another mixing bowl, whisk egg white till foamy. Add in sugar and whisk till stiff peak at max speed. Then reduce to low speed to whisk for 1 min. (to reduce bubbles).
6. Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture (4). Then add this mixture into the balance egg white fold till well corporated.
7. Pour mixture into the prepared tray and bake in preheated oven for 12 mins.
8. Carefully remove the cake from the tray to cool. Cover probably to prevent drying.
1. Whip up dairy cream, sugar and vanilla. Chill it till ready to use.
1. Place the cool cake onto a parchment paper, with the top side facing down.
2. Spread the whipped cream evenly on the cool cake.
3. Roll it up and tighten the roll. Spread some whipped cream on the swiss roll top/surrounding and sprinkle chocolate rice all over.
4. Chill for 30-60 mins to set before slicing.
Haha... actually I find it quite difficult to cover the roll with chocolate rice evenly... mine ended up with too much chocolate rice and make it a bit too sweet.