Made this chiffon cake last weekend, trying to clear some baking ingredients in my pantry! Recipe adapted from Happy Flour and marbled it with matcha powder (green tea). Got the idea from Anncoo Journal.
I have not been participating in AB for many months and glad that I make it this month. I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #30: It's Tea Time! (Apr 2013) hosted by Food Playground.
Source: Happy Flour
65g Cream cheese
1/4 tsp Baking powder
4 Egg yolks
1/4 tsp Salt
4 Egg white
1/8 tsp Cream of tartar
90g Caster sugar
5g Matcha (green tea) powder (mix with 1tbsp hot water into paste)
Preheat oven at 170C.
1. Cook butter, cheese and milk together until melted and thicken.
2. Strain and set aside to cool.
3. Whisk egg yolk and salt till creamy.
4. Add in cream cheese mixture and whisk till combined.
5. Add in sifted flour and baking powder, stir till batter is smooth.
6. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar till glossy and stiff peak.
7. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
8. Then fold in the rest of the meringue until well combined.
9. Take out 1/3 of the batter, lightly fold in the matcha paste.
10. Spoon plain and matcha batter alternately into an ungreased 20cm chiffon mould till all the batter used up. Use a chopstick to stir the batter to create swirls and smooth the top with a spatula.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 mins.
12. Remove from oven, invert the cake with the tin till completely cool.
13. Remove cake from mould and serve.