Oct 24, 2013

All time favourite butter cake!


Butter cake is one of my most frequent bakes because my family and colleagues love it especially my brother. Here's one of my recent favourite recipe from Cooking Crave! I had made this cake years ago (here) and just forgotten how good is it till I baked it again recently.


Old School Butter Cake


Pictures taken with Iphone 5
All I can ask for in a slice of good butter cake - soft, moist and buttery!



This cake always turned out very well without any cracks.


Recipe adapted from: Cooking Crave
Ingredients:
250g Butter - Soft (Golden Churn canned or any good block butter) 
80g Caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla paste
1/8 tsp salt (if prefers less salty just a pinch will do)
4 Egg yolks
1 tbsp Milk
200g Self raising flour (or 200g plain flour + 1tsp baking powder) 

4 Egg whites
80g Caster sugar



Method:
Preheat oven at 170C. Line a 8" Square tin.
1. Cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla untill light and fluffy.
2. Add in egg yolks one at a time and beat till creamy. Add in milk and mix well.
3. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix well. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg white and sugar till soft peak in another bowl.
5. Fold 1/4 of egg white mixture into butter mixture (3). Mix well and fold in the rest.
6. Pour batter into lined baking pan and bake for 40-45 mins or until cooked.

*** For Rum Rasin Butter Cake: Soak 100g raisin/sultana with 50g rum overnight. Reduce 10-15g sugar.



Enjoy the butter cake anytime of the day with a cup of tea or coffee! 



Love this butter in butter cake! Give the cake a very old school flavour! Available in most supermarkets and baking supplies shops like Sunlik and Phoon Huat.


Check out my Instagram @ wensdelight on my daily eats!

10 comments :

Edith C said...

Truly agree with you, nothing beats Golden Churn (Tin) in good old fashion butter cake. No cracks! is this better than Mrs SK ng's?

wensdelight said...

I think this is more buttery than Mrs Ng's. My die hard buttercake fan brother prefers this one.

cathysjoy said...

Very pretty butter cake! Love the smooth golden top =)

Inés De Suárez said...

Wonderful! It's so high!:P

wensdelight said...

Thanks Cathy!

wensdelight said...

Thanks!

jiahui said...

I beat the egg whites at max speeed?

Tay Chris said...

Wen, I actually don't know how to bake. BUT when I came across your recipes they are quite simple. I am trying to bake now. Thank you Wen.

liza said...

nice blog

agastya said...

Thanks for cake recipe and cake names

Post a Comment

Popular Posts