Butter cake is one of my most frequent bakes because my family and colleagues love it especially my brother. Here's one of my recent favourite recipe from Cooking Crave! I had made this cake years ago (here) and just forgotten how good is it till I baked it again recently.
Old School Butter Cake
Pictures taken with Iphone 5
All I can ask for in a slice of good butter cake - soft, moist and buttery!
This cake always turned out very well without any cracks.
Recipe adapted from: Cooking Crave
250g Butter - Soft (Golden Churn canned or any good block butter)
80g Caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla paste
1/8 tsp salt (if prefers less salty just a pinch will do)
4 Egg yolks
1 tbsp Milk
200g Self raising flour (or 200g plain flour + 1tsp baking powder)
4 Egg whites
80g Caster sugar
Preheat oven at 170C. Line a 8" Square tin.
1. Cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla untill light and fluffy.
2. Add in egg yolks one at a time and beat till creamy. Add in milk and mix well.
3. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix well. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg white and sugar till soft peak in another bowl.
5. Fold 1/4 of egg white mixture into butter mixture (3). Mix well and fold in the rest.
6. Pour batter into lined baking pan and bake for 40-45 mins or until cooked.
*** For Rum Rasin Butter Cake: Soak 100g raisin/sultana with 50g rum overnight. Reduce 10-15g sugar.
Enjoy the butter cake anytime of the day with a cup of tea or coffee!
Love this butter in butter cake! Give the cake a very old school flavour! Available in most supermarkets and baking supplies shops like Sunlik and Phoon Huat.
Check out my Instagram @ wensdelight on my daily eats!