All time favourite - Classic Marble Cake
Recipe adapted from Miss Tam Chiak!
8 egg yolks
100g castor sugar
340g unsalted butter
250g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/4 tsp sea salt
8 eggs white
140g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp Valrhona chocolate powder
2 tbsp milk
Preheat oven 160C, line the base and side of a 8 inch round tin
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add in egg yolk till just incorporated.
3. Sieve in flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
4. Whisk egg white, sugar and cream of tartar till stiff peak.
5. With a spactula, fold in meringue into the egg batter in 3-4 batches until incorporated.
6. Place chocolate powder and milk in another mixing bowl, mix well into a paste. Add 1/4 cake batter into the chocolate paste and mix well.
7. Pour batter alternately into the lined baking tin. With a skewer/chopstick, give a swirl to create marble effect.
8. Bake for 50-55 mins or when the cake tester inserted come out clean.
9. Remove from tin and cool on a rack before slicing to serve.